I’d like to thank The Omni Group for sponsoring MacSparky.com this week. The Omni Group is a remarkable company. It is a group of extremely talented people all working hard at the goal of making the best possible Mac and iOS software. With their emphasis on gorgeous and functional productivity software, they’ve succeeded.
This week I'm featuring OmniOutliner. Often people will throw information at me in a jumbled mess. When that happens, there simply is no better tool than OmniOutliner for bringing order to chaos. Using OmniOutliner, I can quickly sort and organize information. I spent two hours in a meeting this morning and OmniOutliner bailed me out one more. OmniOutliner doesn’t just reference words but attachments too including links, images, sound files, and movies. The app even has the ability to record audio while you outline. This is so useful for students.
OmniOutliner 4 for the Mac is new and it's a fantastic upgrade. New features include:
- A new user interface. I really like the way they've integrated the inspector.
- A Resource Browser that displays recently edited files, lets you choose templates, and apply themes to existing documents
- New and much improved Inspector window.
- Works better cross platform with OmniOutliner 2 for iPad
- Apply the styles from a template (its theme) to your outlines.
- Pop-up List-styled columns benefit from the Smart Match technology in OmniFocus.
A lot of work went into this and it is a really nice upgrade. They also have OmniOutliner 2 for the iPad and the two applications sync data seamlessly with the Omni Group’s very own OmniPresence syncing service. A good outliner can make your work product better and this is the best outliner available on the Mac and iPad. Go check it out.