What are some of your favorite apps?
I have used most of these apps for many years now. I find them indispensable in getting work done. Please note they may not all be available on the App Store as some of them are quite old and sport older UI.
- Things (App Store)(Website): is a list manager that I find fast and a pleasure to use. I have found its Sync feature second to none.
- Tweetbot (App Store)(Website): Although I have used the newer version, I find myself coming back to the older version (3.6.3).
- Simplenote (App Store)(Website): I use it with Notational Velocity on the Mac to keep small snippets of text for quick access between my Mac and iPhone.
- Ninjawords (Website): Super fast dictionary. Sadly, the app is no longer available. But they have a website that you can use to look up words quickly. You can even add it to your iOS home screen.
- Articles (App Store) (Website): is my Wikipedia app of choice. It has remained without update since 2013, though that hasn't deterred me from using it.
- Due (App Store)(Website): I use it for time-sensitive reminders. Great app.
- Dialvetica (App Store)(Website): I use it for dialing contacts quickly. It has remained in my Dock for years.
- Fantastical (App Store)(Website) is great for quickly adding calendar events. Also, the week view is great in landscape orientation.
- Evernote Scannable (App Store)(Website) works great for scanning documents quickly.
- Overcast (App Store)(Website) is my podcast app of choice, though it is far from perfect.
- Letterboxd (App Store)(Website) is great for keeping track of films watched.
- Deliveries (App Store)(Website) app is an old favorite for keeping track of shipments.
- Cloak (App Store)(Website) is great for keeping yourself (and your data) safe using VPN.
- Fast (Website): Not really an app but you can add it to your iOS home screen. It shows you the download speed of your internet connection.
- Productive (App Store)(Website) for keeping track of new habits.
- 1Password (App Store)(Website) for managing my passwords and credit cards.
- Find Friends (Website): I use it for keeping track of my family members for emergency/safety reasons.
Which app is your guilty pleasure?
YouTube. (Website) I spend way more time with it than I should. Tweetbot and Instagram are a distant second.
What app makes you most productive?
What app do you know you're underutilizing?
What is the app you are still missing?
I want my Apple Watch to track my sleep automatically. There are apps out there that let you do that but you have to turn them on/off manually.
More than an app, the feature I most want in my Apple devices is Proaction. I want these devices to learn from my use patterns. For instance, it knows that when I am at home, I turn off the Cellular Data (and turn on wifi), and when I am away, I turn on the Cellular Data (and turn off wifi). It would be great if it learns from you without you having to do it every time.
How many times a day do you use your iPhone?
I use my iPhone a few times (10+) during the day. I am trying to cut it down.
What Today View widgets are you using and why?
- Fantastical (App Store)(Website) for viewing today's calendar.
- Battery widget (iPhone and Watch).
- PCalc (App Store)(Website) for doing quick calculations.
- Activity for keeping track of Move, Stand, Exercise.
- Shazam (App Store) for quickly identifying music I come across.
What is your favorite feature of the iPhone?
3D Touch: I use it all the time on my most-used apps. For instance, I use this feature with the Phone app to turn on/off Cellular Data and to put phone in Low Power Mode quickly.
If you were in charge at Apple, what would you add or change?
I would have longer cycles (more than a couple of years) between hardware and software releases.
I would also make the new macOS more mac like. One of the reasons I haven't upgraded to the newest OS is because I found its UI to be less pleasing to the eye. I also find the older iTunes 10 better. I am happily using Mountain Lion (10.8.4).
Show us your watch face.
I use the Modular watch face most of the time as it can have as many as 5 complications. The complications I use are Activity, Timer, Day and Date, Time, and Calendar. I also use a Utility watch face with the same complications. Although, there are now third-party complications available, these are the ones I have found to be essential.
What's your wallpaper and why?
I use wallpapers from a collection called Focus Backgrounds (no longer available) designed by my friend, Joe Darnell. I have been using them on my Mac (10.8.4) and iPhone (iOS 10) for quite some time.
Anything else you'd like to share?
I am excited to share that earlier this week I put out my 100th piece for my weblog. Please have a look at the Archive page to see what tickles your fancy. And if you like something, please share it with others.